Reporting to (Job Title)
Last updated on
Placement in organization
TL, Senior Accountants and Accountants
Job and team performance
As the Financial Controller LATAM you will be part of the Global Accounting organization and will report to the Senior Controller based in Amsterdam. You will be responsible for the accounting activities for the LATAM region and lead the general ledger accounting, accounts payable and accounts receivable teams in Sao Paulo, Brazil (11 FTE in total). You will work closely with the Corporate and other Regional Accounting teams and various other stakeholders in finance and the business.
You will be responsible for the operations and development of the LATAM accounting team with a focus on standardization and efficiency, continuous improvement and automation. You will also support the local management team in all finance and compliance related matters.
Strong communication and people leadership skills are essential. You will be keen to develop and grow within the role and challenge yourself to take on additional projects and responsibilities as they present themselves.
Tasks & Responsibilities
Take full ownership and responsibility of the accounting for all LATAM Booking.com entities, in accordance with US GAAP, local GAAP and compliance with both internal and external requirements.
Own the accounts payable and accounts receivable processing for LATAM and work with central team in Amsterdam to ensure alignment with global policies and procedures.
Manage relationships and performance of outsourced accounting providers in various countries.
- Closing Process
Support and provide oversight to the accounting team with the monthly (quarterly, annual) closing process, review and take ownership of their performance and actively work on ways to improve processes.
Sign off on the regular and timely preparation of all required financial reports and schedules for the region.
Prepare and sign off on the quality and integrity of:
- The balance sheet and profit and loss for the region and complete the the overall regional analysis
- Monthly closing reports and reconciliations for the region in accordance with US GAAP
- Monthly variance analysis for the region
- The annual returns and / or various statutory and statistical filings for the region in accordance with all internal policies and external requirements and ensuring the Sox control framework is in place
Ensure adherence for all compliance requirements including Sox, tax, statutory and statistical filings and statutory audits are met to fullest satisfaction.
- Roadmap, Priorities
Initiate and own the strategic goals of the region in line with the Global Accounting roadmap and priorities of Global Finance Operations.
Own the direct contact with external accounting firms in the region to organise relevant audits, tax, and overall accounting issues.
Own the direct contact with internal audit when it comes to audits and inquiries of the operations and accounting of the region.
Own the direct contact with tax authorities and ownership of tax reviews and audits.
- Projects & Innovation
Identify, follow-up, initiate and prioritize regional process improvements, which directly impact daily activities within the accounting and finance department.
Support and engage in complex and cross-functional innovation and improvement projects in accounting and across finance.
- Tax Calibration
Own regional tax planning and compliance for the company and work closely with the Global Tax team in Amsterdam.
Network on strategic and executive level as well as act as a strategic advisor to Global finance and the LATAM business on finance and accounting matters.
Partner with other key Finance departments such as Treasury, P2P, Financial systems and Process, Risk & Controls on tasks and projects with a cross functional impact
- Team Management
Driving recruitment for finance and accounting.
Assess performance, provide feedback and manage workload of LATAM Accounting team.
–Please note that this list of duties is not exhaustive and you may be required to complete ad-hoc tasks as requested by your manager.
Required Education, Qualifications & Experience
- University (Accounting, Business, Economic) degree and/or post-graduate education (RA/CPA)
- Approx 8 years’ experience in finance and/or accounting preferably within a Big4 environment and/or multi-national corporate environment
- Sound knowledge of US GAAP/IFRS and SOX
- Strong experience managing teams, coaching, and providing training on the job
- Enthusiastic about developing and leading people
- High levels of personal effectiveness, particularly communication, organization and the ability to focus on achieving project deadlines
- Enthusiasm to work in a fast paced, highly diverse, continuous developing and informal high achieving environment
- Proven ability and the credibility to persuade and influence in effecting changes within an organization
- Strong interpersonal skills and stakeholder management
- Enthusiastic, proactive and driven
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Strong IT experience in financial systems, including SAP, is preferable
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally is required
The hiring company Booking.com Brasil Serviços de Reserva de Hotéis Ltda. is one of Booking.com BV’s and/or BookingSuite BV’s support companies in Brazil. Booking.com Brasil Serviços de Reserva de Hotéis Ltda. is looking for a Financial Controller. Booking.com BV is the company behind Booking.com™, the market leading online accommodation reservation service in the world. BookingSuite BV is the company which operates Booking.com’s™ newly established Accommodation Marketing Services division. All references to “Booking.com" refer to Booking.com BV.