Booking.com is the largest business within Booking Holdings, a leading Fortune 500 e-commerce conglomerate with a market cap of approximately $80 Billion. At Booking.com, we are united by a single mission: empower people to experience the world. Whether in our Amsterdam HQ or at one of our 210 offices worldwide, our 17,000 employees work hard to help make more than one million travel dreams come true every single day. As we continue to scale at incredible speed and embark on our next chapter – experiences, homes and apartments, new technologies – we are actively recruiting the next generation of global leaders and entrepreneurs, with exciting opportunities across a broad range of functions.
As Director – Global Strategy, you will work collaboratively within the Strategy team and Corp Development team to craft strategic and operational decisions through data-based analytical thinking.
You will be a member of the Extended Leadership Team (ELT) that makes key decisions to set the company’s strategy and ultimately deliver on its mission: to empower people to experience the world. You will bring both process and content leadership to strategy projects and act as the point person between Strategy and cross-functional business teams.
You will help develop a unified perspective of the strength of current capabilities and assess opportunities, and evaluate build vs. partner vs. buy.
This position will be part of the team executing on global cross-functional projects that are important for successful implementation of Booking.com’s future strategy. This individual will solve unique and complex problems with tangible impact on internal and external stakeholders. The individual must be able to think outside the box, analyze information to bring out actionable insights, identify and prioritize actions, and navigate the highly-matrixed global environment.
- You will structure and execute operational and strategic initiatives by gathering and synthesizing relevant data, leading analyses with the support of the BI team and presenting final recommendations that will drive short- and long-term growth.
- Work collaboratively with business unit partners and corporate support teams to drive enterprise strategy execution and partner on segment or functional strategy projects
- Evaluate the performance of current business operations and recommend strategies and tactics to achieve business goals.
- Evaluate new business opportunities in collaboration with the Corporate Development team by modeling performance reflecting plausible scenarios or illustrating the limits of tolerable risk – these could include new business models, initiatives, investments or deals within existing business models.
- Review historical performance and create strategic recommendations for business partners
- Stay abreast of and share industry, competitor, and consumer behavior trends
- Lead cross-functional special project teams to identify and evaluate critical strategic priorities and catalyze action against these priorities.
- Refine and run the annual / quarterly strategic planning process.
- Maintain tight connections to the FP&A team to link the annual budgeting process to the long range strategic planning process
- Engage senior leaders across multiple regions, including SVPs and VPs, to derive insights and share recommendations
- Provide thought leadership by defining the analyses (qualitative and quantitative) required for solving the overall project objectives, and guiding other junior members of the team to perform those analyses
- Coach functional teams on new ways of doing business and influence them for a sustainable shift in behaviors and mindsets
- Define key performance indicators for success and measure projects against goals
- Proven thought-leader with 7-10 years (post-MBA) in consulting, corporate strategy/development, business development, corporate strategic planning, or investment banking
- Expertise in technology, ideally in e-commerce, retail, payments, and/or consumer facing products is highly desirable.
- Skilled in strategy development, including project scoping, hypotheses development, financial and business modeling, strategic options identification, consensus building, and implementation.
- Creativity and “out of the box” thinking that drives innovation. The ability to “see around corners” and “connect the dots” that enable business to proactively drive business, not just respond to it.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and mentor a talented and driven strategy team in the development and execution of strategic initiatives.
- Strong executive presence and ability to communicate strategy clearly and simply. Ease with executive-level interactions – ability to distill complex business issues and strategies to highlight insights and actionable recommendations in a concise and persuasive manner.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to lead cross-functional collaboration in a highly matrixed and complex environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work directly with CEOs, CFOs and senior leaders at Group and Board level
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment and deal with ambiguity, willingness to proactively drive resolution of issues in a timely manner
The hiring company Booking.com International BV is one of Booking.com BV’s and/or BookingSuite BV’s support companies in Netherlands. Booking.com International BV is looking for a Director - Global Strategy. Booking.com BV is the company behind Booking.com™, the market leading online accommodation reservation service in the world. BookingSuite BV is the company which operates Booking.com’s™ newly established Accommodation Marketing Services division. All references to “Booking.com" refer to Booking.com BV.