In our data-driven environment, new ideas are always put to test, ideally in randomized, controlled A/B Experiments. However, many interventions require different approaches, for example because we influence existing defined groups instead of truly randomized groups, or we compare different markets to each other.
To approach such challenges, you get creative with many of the following ideas: quasi-experimental designs, adaptive testing designs, penal studies, causal inference techniques, and many more. You will setup, analyze and ultimately validate parametric and nonparametric tests, bayesian methods, correction methods (e.g., propensity scores), hierarchical models, etc., for many different use cases.
Our product development teams leverage data to provide our customers with the best possible experience on our site. They work on challenging problems from understanding and predicting market data, to ranking all properties on our website, and providing our customers with the most relevant personalized recommendations.
As a Data Scientist, you will work side-by-side with Developers, Designers and Product Owners, and take full ownership of your work, from the initial idea-generation phase, to the implementation of the final product on our website. You are result-focused, innovative and have a solid quantitative background and a good business understanding.
- Work in a multidisciplinary team where you will take full ownership of putting discoveries and ideas into test and production. You will use previous insights to create and improve products for our customers, preferably in short development cycles
- Research & Development on how to improve customers’ experience, by using our vast amounts of data
- Actively contribute to taking Data Science at Booking.com to the next level
- Contribute to the growth of Booking.com through interviewing, on-boarding, or other recruitment efforts
- Minimum two years of relevant work experience
- Masters, PhD, or equivalent experience in a quantitative field (Statistics, Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, etc.)
- Excellent English communication skills; the ability to convey your message to team members and other stakeholders
- Broad knowledge of experimental designs, potential pitfalls and troubleshooting as well as experience with designing, validating and running experimental setups, preferably at large scale
- Familiarity with the frequentist philosophy in probability theory as well as the bayesian approach
- Good working knowledge of statistical theory, test theory, and estimator properties
- Familiarity with most of the following ideas: Sequential testing, mixed models, GLM, GEE, repeated measurements designs, type m-error, type s-error, and variance reduction techniques (e.g. CUPED)
- Experience with coding and statistical analysis in languages such as R, Python, Perl, C/C++, Java, Scala
- Experience with SQL and relational databases
- Experience in setting up, implementing, and analyzing experimental designs
- Experience working with the Hadoop Ecosystem
We are a performance-based company that offers career advancement and lucrative compensation, including bonuses and stock potential. We also offer what we call the “Booking Deal” with other competitive perks and benefits. The Tech Department has trainings, peer-to-peer learning groups, and attends/speaks at global conferences.
This position is open to worldwide candidates and, in the case of relocation, we will assist you with a generous relocation package, ensuring a smooth transition to working and living in Amsterdam. We have successfully relocated 200+ IT professionals to Amsterdam in the last year!
The hiring company Booking.com BV is the company behind Booking.com™, the market- leading online accommodation reservation service in the world. Booking.com BV is looking for a Data Scientist – Causal Inference and Experimentation in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. All references to “Booking.com” refer to Booking.com BV.
The hiring company Booking.com BV is the company behind Booking.com™, the market leading online accommodation reservation service in the world. Booking.com BV is looking for a Data Scientist - Causal Inference and Experimentation in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. All references to “Booking.com" refer to Booking.com BV.