The Head of Operations & Strategy is an extension of the Sr Director of Product (acting as the right hand), with the purpose to craft strategic and operational decisions through data-based analytical thinking and drive strategic activities around the main business priorities, while serving as a sounding board in important situations. The person in this role is exposed to a wide range of responsibilities & drives special projects on their own (30-50% of time), while working closely with the Business Unit Leadership Team and other leaders in the company (50%+ of time).
The Head of Operations & Strategy is critical to the success of the business unit. The role influences the creation and execution of the vision and strategy of the business and ensures right topics are being worked on, all projects are well coordinated, and that results are achieved in line with the BU strategy. The role has a strong influence over the entire scope of the BU andr has overview of all the different parts of the business (Marketing, Commercial Part, and Product Development) and is able to steer the direction of the different teams and align them around achieving business unit goals.
Work with the Booking Suite Leadership Team to help drive the Business Unit (50%+ time)
- Influences the creation of the vision and strategy for a business unit with the objective to grow the segment on Booking.com, as measured by transactional, supply and market-share growth
- Structures and executes operational and strategic initiatives by gathering and synthesizing relevant data, leading analyses with the support of the FP&A team and presenting final recommendations that drive short- and long-term growth of the business unit
- Provides consultation to the leadership team in order to exercise and implement control over the performance of the BU to achieve business unit goals ( driving force in setting annual and quarterly strategy, objectives and KPIs)
- Reviews historical performance and creates strategic recommendations for business partners
- Advises and gives opinion in order to specify new products, processes, standards or operational plans, based upon the business strategy
- Works with different teams (e.g., Product, Tech, Marketing, Operations) on the launch of new products and campaigns & Coaches functional teams on new ways of doing business and influence them for a sustainable shift in behaviors and mindsets
- Defines key processes for the BU: how to reduce improve product and commercial execution, measure and track success of new initiatives and existing products, drive key operating mechanisms (business dashboard, track reviews, roadmap reviews)
Drive special projects (30-50% time)
- Help lead discussions on strategic partnerships for the BU
- Explore entry into new businesses and new segments & Work collaboratively with business unit partners and corporate support teams to drive BU strategy execution and partner on segment or functional strategy projects
- Incubate specific business ideas before handing them over to the appropriate teams
- May lead M&A activities for the BU, working closely with the Corporate Development team. Evaluate new business opportunities in collaboration with them by modelling performance reflecting plausible scenarios or illustrating the limits of tolerable risk – these could include new business models, initiatives, investments or deals within existing business models
- Proven thought leader with 5 years in consulting or corporate strategy. Expertise in technology, ideally in e-commerce, SaaS, B2B products is highly desirable
- Minimum of 5-8 years’ total experience (3+ years’ experience post Masters) in corporate development, business development, corporate strategic planning, or investment banking, management consulting
- Skilled in strategy development, including project scoping, hypotheses development, financial and business modeling, strategic options identification, consensus building, and implementation. Ability to learn fast and adapt to a fast moving environment
- Experience leading change management efforts
- Skilled in establishing and driving operational processes
- Experience in Strategic Partnerships (i.e., attracting more partners and vendors)
- Creativity and “out of the box” thinking that drives innovation. The ability to “see around corners” and “connect the dots” that enable business to proactively drive business, not just respond to it.
- Strong interpersonal skills, flexible and a positive attitude
- Self-motivated and able to take ownership of key topics
- Strong executive presence and ability to communicate strategy clearly and simply. Ease with executive-level interactions – ability to distill complex business issues and strategies to highlight insights and actionable recommendations in a concise and persuasive manner.
- Ability to interact with people at all levels (from Board members to entry level employees)
- Ability to lead cross-functional collaboration in a highly matrixed and complex environment. Capable of managing multiple stakeholders with competing priorities.
- Independent thinker with excellent judgment.
- Fluent in English. Superior written and verbal communication skills
This position is open to worldwide candidates. We provide assistance for you and your family with a generous relocation package, ensuring a smooth transition to working and living in Amsterdam. We have successfully relocated 500+ technology professionals to Amsterdam in the last year.
- Headquarters located in one of the most vibrant cities in Europe: Amsterdam
- Performance-based company that offers 26 vacation days, career advancement and lucrative compensation, including bonuses and stock potential.
- Training, regular hackathons and opportunities to travel and attend global conferences.
- Discount on Booking.com accommodations with the “Booking Deal” including other perks and benefits.
- Company sponsored family and social activities to help our employees become integrated with each other and Dutch culture.
- Diverse, unique colleagues from every corner of the world
The hiring company BookingSuite BV is the company which operates Booking.com’s™ newly established Accommodation Marketing Services division. BookingSuite BV is looking for a BookingSuite - Head of Operations & Strategy in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. The company behind Booking.com™ - the market leading online accommodation reservation service in the world - is Booking.com BV. All references to “Booking.com" refer to Booking.com BV.