Please Note: Applications are now closed
As an avid supporter of inclusion and gender diversity, Booking.com advocates for the creation of more opportunities for women to enter, advance and ultimately thrive in the tech sector with an aim to redress under-representation in the wider industry. If you identify as a woman, we're inviting you to Amsterdam to help turn the web into an even more addictive and rewarding environment. Flights and accommodation will be included!
Following the success of our first all-women hackathon, we’ve decided to organise a second edition this year!
The theme will be Hack-A-Holiday and we are focusing on the innovative and inventive minds of women only! The challenge is to use your creativity and skill to build and create something that helps travellers find the perfect place to stay the same way the Romans built and created the Colosseum.
Stack / API Information
The technology stack you wish to use and the device you wish to create for are completely up to you - mobile, web, plugins, wearables and anything else you can think of are all on the table.
We will make the Booking.com API available for you to use, but don’t feel limited to only using this one API. Some of the best innovation comes from integrating multiple services to create something new, radical and creative that solves a problem for travellers. Think about how transport, activities, events, location, social media or other devices can be combined to help improve the experience for travellers.
If combining services isn’t your thing, the Booking.com API gives you access to over 1.7 million properties ranging from hotels to hostels to castles (and everything in between!).
The Booking.com website and mobile apps are available in over 40 languages, offer more than 28,649,666 total reported listings, and cover 134,821 destinations in 227 countries and territories worldwide.
- The event is open to anyone who identifies as a woman: UX Designers, Full-stack Developers and Product Owners are welcome to join.
- The aim is to have multi-functional teams, working together as actual product teams.
- If successful, you will receive an answer from Booking.com stating if you’re in or not. We’re aiming to have a group of 25 attendants in total.
- Your flight and accommodation in Amsterdam will be covered by Booking.com.
- Start & Finish: The event will start on Monday, October 8, 2018, and will finish on Wednesday, October 10th, 2018.
- Kick-Off: On Monday (day 1), we will kick off with a presentation about Booking.com as a company, what we’re all about, and give you some inspiration for challenges you might want to work on.
- Teams: You will be working in teams of 5 people. As mentioned, the aim is to build infrastructure and product like teams, so make sure everyone in your team can contribute in a way that allows you to present a full product at the end of the two days.
- Challenge: Choose a challenge that excites you; be creative, innovative and put yourself in the shoes of our customers to give them the best experience possible!
- Presentation: On Wednesday afternoon (day 3) every team will present the hack they’ve built with a demo. The Booking.com team will ask questions on crafts and product and at the end of the day; decide on the winning team.
- Winners: The winning team will have an original idea, that’s both innovative and customer focused, as well as well-executed.
- Logistics: you should bring your own laptop to work on, as well as a charger and travel adapter.
- Catering: Food, drinks and snacks throughout all days will be provided.
- Prizes: There will be attractive prizes for the top teams, which is individual, not team based.
- Interviews: We hope to lead your career at Booking.com in Amsterdam and for those who would be open to move and start a career at Booking.com we are happy to schedule an on-site interview during these dates.
Monday 8th October
10.30-12.30 Presentations from internal and external speakers
14:00-15:00 Meet with an Agile Coach and form teams
15:00-18:00 Start Hacking!
18:00-20:00 Evening activity
Tuesday 9th October
Hack until evening
Wednesday 10th October
08.30-10.30 Finalize hacking
11:00-12.30 Hackathon Presentation
14:00-17.30 Optional Interview slots