Booking.com is the global leader in connecting travelers with the widest choice of incredible places to stay, regardless of their budget or destination. If you identify as a woman, we're inviting you to Amsterdam to help turn the web into an even more addictive and rewarding environment. Flights and accommodation will be included!
In this edition of Hack-A-Holiday, we are focusing on the innovative and inventive minds of women only! The challenge is to use your creativity and skill to build and create something that helps travellers find the perfect place to stay the same way the Romans built and created the Colosseum. The technology stack you wish to use and the device you wish to create for are completely up to you - mobile, web, plugins, wearables and anything else you can think of are all on the table.
We have made the Booking.com API available for you to use, but don’t feel limited to only using this one API. Some of the best innovation comes from integrating multiple services to create something new, radical and creative that solves a problem for travellers. Think about how transport, activities, events, location, social media or other devices can be combined to help improve the experience for travellers.
If combining services isn’t your thing, the Booking.com API gives you access to over 1 million properties ranging from hotels to hostels to castles (and everything in between!). These properties are located across 224 countries and territories and the information for each is available in up to 42 languages.
The documentation is waiting for you at https://developers.booking.com and you will receive login access when you are accepted to the hackathon.
- The event is open to anyone who identifies as a woman: UX, Front End, Back end, Mobile, Product Owners, Copywriters and Product Managers are welcome to join.
- The aim is to have multi-functional teams, working together as actual Product Teams.
- Registration for this event is now closed.
- If successful, you will receive an answer from Booking.com stating if you’re in or not. We’re aiming to have a group of 45 attendants in total.
- Your flight and accommodation in Amsterdam will be covered by Booking.com.
Once you’re in
- The event will take off at 10:30 on July 24, 2017 (Monday), and will finish at 18:00 on July 26, 2017 (Wednesday).
- On Monday (day 1), we will kick off with a presentation about Booking.com as a company, what we’re all about, and give you some inspiration for challenges you might want to work on.
- You will be working in teams of 5-6 people. As mentioned, the aim is to build product like teams, so make sure everyone in your team can contribute in a way that allows you to present a full product at the end of the two days.
- Choose a challenge that excites you; be creative, innovative and put yourself in the shoes of our customers to give them the best experience possible!
- On Wednesday afternoon (day 3) every team will present the hack they’ve built with a demo. The Booking.com team will ask questions on crafts and product and at the end of the day; decide on the winning team.
- The winning team will have an original idea, that’s both innovative and customer focused, as well as well-executed.
- Logistics: you should bring your own laptop to work on, as well as a charger and travel adapter. Food, drinks and snacks throughout all days will be provided.
- There will be attractive prizes for the top 3 teams, which is individual, not team based.
- We hope to lead your career at Booking.com in Amsterdam and for those who would be open to move and start a career at Booking.com we are open to schedule an on-site interview during these dates.
- Monday 24th
10.30-12.30 Presentations from internal and external speakers
14:00-15:00 Meet with an Agile Coach and form teams
15:00-18:00 Start Hacking!
18:00-20:00 Evening activity
- Tuesday 25th
Hack until evening
- Wednesday 26th
08.30-10.30 Finalize hacking
11:00-12.30 Hackathon Presentation
14:00-17.30 Optional Interview slots